August 31, 2009

My Daughterly Charge

There are those things in life that scare the living daylights out of me…snakes, Benjamin Linus and relationships...you know the usual things all girls fear, right? But public speaking isn’t one of them. I’ve done a fair amount of “public” speaking in my twenty ought years (that is if you consider endless introductions and lectures on sorority policies public speaking), but when I was abruptly given the task of introducing my father for his upcoming hall of fame induction my head started spinning. I accepted my daughterly charge, but nearly a month later I’m still struggling to find the right words to say about my Dad.

I don’t share his knack for golf. By the age of 7 I was throwing clubs (and by clubs I mean putters) at the local putt-putt course and I made what I thought was the smart decision to give the up game before the game could give up on me. What we do share is a feisty Italian temperament (my dad once threw pieces of a bocce ball set over the roof after he concluded he was doomed to lose the game), but I’m almost positive that this wouldn't be the appropriate forum for sharing that side of our personalities.

So what do you say about your athletically gifted, yet uber competitive father? Oh and did I mention that he almost decided not to be inducted cause he’s also slightly anti-social? Yeah, that’s my dad…fiery and anti-social.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment